Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Sibling Rivalry?

This is not a writing post. It's about my kids, eventually. First off, I lost a follower last week. I guess my posts aren't all that inspiring. Ah well, I still love my followers. :)

It has been said that writing and publishing a book is a lot like having a baby. I'm inclined to agree, especially given my current experiences and how it seems to effect my family.

One, the weight gain. Yep. Still wondering how to get that off, since that's one part that's NOT like having a baby.

Two, when the book came out my hubby and I wanted to show it to everyone. Very much like having a newborn.

And three, now that I've spent most of December on book signings--call this being busy taking care of the newborn--I'm experiencing what I can only call a sibling rivalry from my other kids.

Last week, my son asked me to not do anything that had to do with books or writing for a whole day. "Spend time with us." It's not like I'm neglecting them, honest. I'm here more than I'm not. At home, that is.

Then last night my daughter wanted a date--just her and me--and it had to have NOTHING to do with books.

Any time I talk about going to a signing I'm met with groans of disappointment.

I think the shiny wrapping that comes with a newborn has worn off. They're still proud of the book and all, but they definitely aren't fans of having it take so much of my time to be an author.

1 comment:

Cluttered Brain said...

Really?
Wow. But I bet they are certainly proud of their mama for following her dream. I'll be published soon eventually.
but first I've got some things to work on.
Don't worry about the following thing. I lose some I gain some.
Same with FB.
Anyway, Love your writing and ALL your FB updates Cheri. I hope I get to see you at the Writer's conference....